May 27, 2014

All About Buffy the Vampire Slayer

All About is a feature here at Ponderings of Psyche wherein I post my current obsession. It can vary from books to movies and to music. Also, beware of spoilers. 

Most of my friends know how much I love Vampires. For the last few days, I've been spending my time watching this well-known vampire series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's first episode was aired on March 10, 1997.

I'm already in Season 3, and hopefully, I'll be able to finish the series, as well as its spin-off, Angel, just before our classes resume. I'm really digging the series, so with let the fangirling commence!






I think I was in primary grade level when I first encountered Buffy the Vampire Slayer through my dad’s various toy magazines. It didn't occurred in my mind to watch the series back then, but I was really intrigued because they made action figures of it. I also saw some books of it in the sale bin of the book store here, but I just ignored it.

            So, a few days after watching the season finale of Once Upon A Time, it just occurred to me that I haven’t watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer yet. Upon watching the first episode, I was already hooked, and finished the first season in just a day.





    The story revolves around the 16-year old Buffy Summers, the latest slayer. There’s only one slayer in existence, and she’ll only be replace if she died. The series doesn't revolve only in vampires; it also has a variety of supernatural creatures throughout the whole series. There are whole bunch werewolves, witchcraft, robots, and others. In some episodes, vampires were not even involved, and most of the time, they appeared when Buffy’s on the patrol in the cemetery every night.

    Buffy has a set of friends who knows what she is. There’s Willow, Xander, Cordelia, and Giles, the librarian of Sunnydale High, as well as her watcher. The character development of each is great, and can be seen clearly as the series goes on. Aside from Buffy’s human friends, she also got into a romantic relationship with Angel, a vampire cursed with a soul, and Spike, whom she had a shaky alliance with at the end of the second season.

     More characters were introduced in the second season, namely Spike and Drusilla. Both were deadly vampires, and they're back in Sunnydale in order for Drusilla to heal, and to kill the slayer. In addition, there's also a new slayer on the block: Kendra.

            Moreover, the vampires are not as strong as you think. They don’t have the strength like that of the modern vampires like the Cullen Family or the Salvatore brothers. And most of the vampires here are not that... bright.
My reaction when I first saw the shadow of Angel? Oh my god. I bet that is Angel. And when his face was finally showed, I squealed and yelled his name. Angel. And the rest is history.

            In the first season, Angel only appears when there’s evil brewing and always warns Buffy. Buffy didn't know that the enigmatic Angel was a vampire. So in one of the episodes, they kissed, Angel suddenly changed into a vampire, Buffy screamed, and then Angel fled the scene. That’s how Buffy found out. But they couldn't stay away from each other, so by the end of the first season, they’re already dating.

            There’s a lot of kissing in the second season, and it always thrilled me every time I see Angel. I was actually anticipating for his appearance, because you know, fangirl and all that. It irked me when he turned bad just because the soul within him was finally freed, and because of the way he treated Buffy. He started torturing Buffy then, even though it’s obvious that he still love her.

“To kill this girl... you have to love her.” - Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

            Angel died in the season finale of the second season, and yes, I cried so much. Even though I know that he will be resurrected, I still cried because it just hurts so much. And that I found out that he’ll not end up with Buffy. Imagine my pain.










    During the last part of the first episode in the second season, Spike appeared when he crashed his car into a sign. That’s his first appearance. He came into Sunnydale with Drusilla, the vampire who sired him. They may not appear much in the second season, but they’re a wicked pair of vampires, and now that Angel has sided with them, they’re much more deadly than before. More of their pasts will be revealed in the upcoming episodes and in the spin-off series, Angel.

              In the second season, Angel told Buffy about his obsession with Drusilla, and how he drove her into insanity. Drusilla can sometimes foretell the future, and that’s how she and Spike device their plans in order to kill the slayer.



           I’m currently watching episode 8 of Season 3. Hopefully, I’ll see more of Angel and Buffy interaction. So far, I think there were six scenes wherein Buffy and Angel were together. I certainly can’t wait for Spike’s appearance and also, his accent is to die for. 
           

I'm certainly doing a part 2 after I've watched the whole series. A fan girl has to let out all the feels, y'know.



No comments:

Post a Comment